Minecraft networking



As it turns out network gaming is important now for friends, so it's duty as a parent to make sure we can play minecraft on as many devices from anywhere.

What I had available and used was:

  • Xbox One
  • iOS iPad (pocket edition)
  • Windows PC


1. Get a minecraft server. 

You need to download a minecraft server. I used a windows machine so I downloaded the windows version using this link.

https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/download/server/bedrock/

The important thing to note that bedrock edition is multi platform supporting the following:

  • Pocket Edition
  • Windows 10 Edition
  • Gear VR Edition
  • Fire TV Edition
  • Xbox One 
  • Nintendo Switch 
  • PlayStation 4

I've not tested some of them because I do not have those devices but the information I got from here https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Bedrock_Edition

You may also want to update the files in the bedrock directory

  • server.properties
difficulty=peaceful
allow-cheats=true

I set those parameters to make the game easier to focus on building things.
  • permissions.json

You can add your own user id to be operator. you can add more than 3, just remember to leave the comma out of the last entry as per json format.

[
{
"permission":"operator",
"xuid": "add the xuid number here"
},
{
"permission":"operator",
"xuid": "add the xuid number here"
},
{
"permission":"operator",
"xuid": "add the xuid number here"
}
]

To find your xuid, after your initial login, you can see the xuid number appear in the server window. update the json file with you number.


NO LOG FILE! - setting up server logging...
[2020-05-26 13:47:05 INFO] Starting Server
[2020-05-26 13:47:05 INFO] Version 1.14.60.5
[2020-05-26 13:47:05 INFO] Session ID 2sdfsdf12342342166745
[2020-05-26 13:47:05 INFO] Level Name: Bedrock level
[2020-05-26 13:47:05 INFO] Game mode: 0 Survival
[2020-05-26 13:47:05 INFO] Difficulty: 0 PEACEFUL
[2020-05-26 13:47:06 INFO] opening worlds/Bedrock level/db
[2020-05-26 13:47:08 INFO] IPv4 supported, port: 19132
[2020-05-26 13:47:08 INFO] IPv6 supported, port: 19133
[2020-05-26 13:47:08 INFO] IPv4 supported, port: 52854
[2020-05-26 13:47:08 INFO] IPv6 supported, port: 52855
[2020-05-26 13:47:08 INFO] Server started.
[2020-05-26 13:54:03 INFO] Player connected: melven, xuid: 2122535123230


2. Setup NAT on your router.

For windows PC (downloaded bedrock server) ports are 19132,19133,25565 Both TCP and UDP should be safe.

Although I didn't see the bedrock server try to use 25565, but I just used those 3 ports anyway.


3. Join the server

The LAN server should automatically appear in the friends tab on your PC, Xbox and iPhone if youre on the same network.


To ask your friends to connect, ask them to add a server with your router IP address for DDNS. Asus routers provide a free DDNS service.




Replace the server IP address with your Internet IP address.

Note:  I left the mode online-mode=true in server.properties. This means that your friends do need to sign into their live ID before they can join the game. The server doesn't accept multiple user ids as well. so if you use the same id on your xbox and pc, you need to sign into another id on the xbox to join the PC server.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

re-installation and disk management

Apple is Evil